Grmožur Fortress: The Haunting Legacy of Montenegro’s Island Prison
Duration: 1 hour
Indulge in a private boat tour and discover the exquisite beauty of Lake Skadar’s hidden gem – the Grmožur fortress. This abandoned Turkish fortress was converted into a jail by Montenegrins during the reign of King Nikola, earning its notorious moniker, the Montenegrin Alcatraz, or the Island of Snakes by the locals. However, today, it is more commonly known as the Island of Birds, providing a haven for numerous bird species, including a pit stop during migration.
Constructed in the 19th century, this once-impregnable fortress witnessed the imprisonment of heinous criminals and political prisoners, including the Belgrade students, accused of attempting to assassinate King Nikola. The fortification’s tragic fate was sealed in 1905 when a devastating earthquake struck the Lake Skadar area, leaving it in a dilapidated state.
- You can combine our tours according to your wishes and needs.
- The tours are considered private if there are a maximum of 10 people on board. For more than ten people, contact us by email for more details and prices.
- You can also decide how long you want to stay on the lake, which boat you want to go with, etc.
- Don't hesitate to contact us if you need any additions. We'll do everything to fulfil your wishes.
The tour include:
- Sightseeing boat tour
- Trying local wine
Know before you go:
- Please note that we don't provide lunch or meals during the tour. You're welcome to bring your own food or eat out before/after the tour. However, if you'd like us to organise your meal for you, please contact us by e-mail at least a few days before the tour.
- Please note that the National park fee is not included in the price. It is mandatory to pay it upon arrival. It costs 4 EUR per person (free for children under 7).
- Please arrive at the meeting point 30 minutes before the activity starts, to check-in.
- Keep in mind that, during the summer, Montenegro has constant traffic jams, so be sure to plan your journey to Virpazar ahead. By arriving earlier, you avoid headaches over finding a parking spot for your car.